Inclusion, Engagement, and Transformation

Skip to sideThe TRSP Center supports the Chancellor and University’s commitment to community colleges by participating in campus-wide and system-wide outreach and recruitment activities including the Starting Point Mentorship Program.  We are committed to providing access and opportunity to students interested in exploring the possibility of studies at Cal.

Information on Admissions
Admission to UC Berkeley as a Transfer Student

Berkeley uses the UC common application, so you only have to submit one application for any and all of the UC campuses.  The application is available in October and the filing period is November 1-30. Apply online.  Please keep in mind that if you fail to submit your application by the November 30 deadline, you must wait until the following November to apply.

Where to get Information
Information on admission requirements and what to expect when you transfer to Berkeley can be found online at the UC Berkeley Office of Undergraduate Admissions Transfer Page.

In addition, a new online feature on what the UC Berkeley campus has to offer can be found at

Click on Admissions Events for Prospective Students to learn about and register for online events such as:  Open Chats, IM Sessions, Virtual College Fair and Webinars in topics such as Personal Statement for Transfers and Comprehensive Review for Transfers.

Beginning in May and continuing through December, admissions information to prospective transfer students is available most weekdays between 1:00-4:00 p.m. in room 103 Sproul Hall. Please check the Office of Undergraduate Admissions Office Hours for detailed information on Operational Hours.

Community College Students
If you have questions on admission requirements and the Personal Statement, you can contact any of the following UC Berkeley representatives:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Drop-in transfer advising, Thursdays and Fridays 2:00 – 4:00pm, TRSP Center, 100 Cesar Chavez Student Center. Drop-in hours are offered August through November.

Office of Undergraduate Admissions –

Community College Transfer Center (CCTC), Center for Educational Partnerships
Keith Schoon (510) 643-7159  

Community College students can receive assistance with their course planning and review of their transcripts from their community college counselors at their respective school sites. To assist you in the development of your community college education plan, be sure to go to  This website provides you with information on how courses earned at one California college or university can be applied when transferred to another.

Four year and Out-of-State Students
If you have questions regarding out of state coursework, you can contact:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions –

Students from four-year schools can contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at (510) 642-3175.  Admissions Officers are available between May 1 and December 1 to review transcripts for students.

Tips For Prospective Transfer Students

Plan early and make use of resources such as your community college counselor,, UC Berkeley admissions representatives who may visit your school and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website:

Create a network of counselors and faculty who can provide guidance and support as you make progress and excel at the community college and encourage you to apply to UC Berkeley or other four year educational institutions.

Prepare for your major. The more comprehensive and challenging your community college program, the better prepared your will be for University work and the better your chances for academic success.  Concentrate on classes required as preparation for upper-division work in your intended major.  Completing your major-preparation coursework while at community college can make you a more competitive applicant.

Don't give up your dream even if you have one bad semester or year. Strive to learn from circumstances that impacted your academic studies.  Remain motivated and determined to use your talents and strengths to the best of your ability.
Fund Your Education Financial Aid
To learn about tuition, fees and financial aid, go to the admissions webpage at: and click on Tuition, Fees, and Financial Aid.  

Scholarship Connection 
To learn about scholarships and receive tips on applying for scholarships, visit their web site at:

Research Information on Colleges and Majors 
There are six schools and colleges on the Berkeley campus and over 120 majors!  It is beneficial to review websites of your intended college and major(s) at the following site:


For Students Aspiring to Transfer to UC Berkeley
Starting Point Mentorship Program

The TRSP Center offers a mentorship opportunity and encourages students to reach their goals at a research university like Cal.

One way to learn about the transfer student experience at Cal is from students who can share what it is like to go through the application process, the transition the first semester on campus, taking upper division course work and other experiences.  And a way to connect with UC Berkeley students is through the Starting Point Mentorship Program, which provides community college students with UC Berkeley student mentors that offer guidance, motivation and access to campus and community resources. The program is specifically designed to encourage students from backgrounds that are underserved and/or non-traditional in higher education (re-entry students, student parents, veteran students, low income, first generation college students, underrepresented students, disabled students, etc.) and encourages all students to explore their academic potential and prepare for transfer to UC Berkeley.  Mentoring is completed by email, phone calls, campus visits, workshops, and the use of online technologies.

Testimonials from Starting Point mentees:
“Having a Cal student as a mentor is one of the best things I did at the community college.  The visits to classes were awesome and sold me on Berkeley and now here I am!”  Mentee from Berkeley City College

“I could count on my mentor to send me information on things I didn’t even think about.  I couldn’t visit the campus so she would forward articles on resources and send links that were important to me on my major, how to find jobs, scholarships, and studying in another country.”  Mentee from Ohlone Community College

Advice to Newly Admitted Transfer Students
Connect with academic support services
such as our Transfer, Re-entry, and Student Parent Center and other offices like Student Life Advising Services/EOP, and the Student Learning Center that can assist with the transition to a research university such as Cal.

Expect rigorous coursework.  You likely will take most of your coursework at the upper division (junior and senior) level, which is more demanding. Subjects will be presented in more depth and with a tighter focus than in the broad-based survey or foundation courses you completed to prepare to transfer.

Plan for a faster pace.  Transfer students familiar with the semester system may find that it takes some time to adjust to the different rhythm of the quarter system. The faster pace means learning to budget your time well.

Give courses priority over work.  Many community college students are use to fitting part-time classes around a fulltime job.  Berkeley expects you to do the opposite, and there are financial resources and options that can allow you to keep your work hours manageable. The best way to deal with all the changes you’ll encounter is to allow more time for your studies at Cal.

Seek out enrichment opportunities early.  Establishing a relationship with your professors requires efforts beyond attending weekly lectures.  Visit them during office hours.  Ask about internships or research prospects in your field.  Visit the Career Center and offices that provide information and opportunities that can assist you with research, career and graduate school options.

Get involved.  There are hundreds of clubs and organizations where you can quickly get to know your fellow students


Re-entry Student Information

Re-entry students are 25 and older and may be returning to Cal complete the undergraduate degree, transferring to Cal from another campus, or even beginning their undergraduate programs at Berkeley as freshmen. We encourage you to consider involving yourself with our Starting Point Mentorship Program, and look forward to connecting you to other Berkeley adult learners, with whom you share the common context of enhanced life and professional experience.

As re-entry students, know that what you bring to the university is as important as what you plan to get from this process as well. No one intends to or expects you to ignore or discount all of your professional, personal, and life experience. Your goal, however, should encompass and integrate your finely-cultivated life skills to make relevant
and purposeful connections to your academic experience.

One of the great opportunities that awaits you at Cal after your admission or readmission is a one-unit transition course offered on a Pass/Not Pass basis. Through this course you will benefit from an array of insights and strategies, decrease your stress load, and establish an opportunity to actively process your academic transition to studies at Berkeley. Adult Learners in Higher Education, EDUC 198 meets once each week throughout the semester and affords the opportunity to be with other re-entry students who understand and respect the juggling act, sacrifices, and purposeful direction it takes to be here.

Re-admitted Students
Welcome back to Berkeley! Whether you have been away for a few semesters or a few years, your transition will require you to reacquaint yourself with the academic, financial and administrative systems at Cal.

You are eligible to attend a Cal Student Orientation (CalSO) program in order to get started back at UC Berkeley. If you are interested in attending a CalSO, please contact Annalyn Cruz (510.643.8656), and include your 8-digit student ID number and identify yourself as a re-admitted student who wants to register for CalSO.

If you decide not to attend CalSO, here are some tips on selecting your classes:

  • Review all information sent to you from your school/college, including websites, email, and anything mailed to you directly.
  • Begin to develop your semester schedule. To do so, complete any schedule planning worksheets sent to you by your school/college. If you have notreceived anything from your college, click here for a general worksheet to help you plan your courses.
  • Review the Online Schedule of Classes, which lists what courses are offered each semester and when and where they take place. Click here for a quick tutorial on using the Online Schedule of Classes.

Using Tele-BEARS (the online course enrollment system) can be pretty confusing if you have not used it before or in a long time, so we encourage you to use the Tele-BEARS tutorial to help it all make sense.

Adviser Code
Some re-admitted students need an Adviser Code (AC) in order to sign up for classes, while others do not; it depends on a variety of factors (including when you last attended Berkeley, whether your major is officially declared).

To find out whether you need an AC or not, check with your college/school below:

Chemistry (510.643.1035)
Engineering (510.642.7594)
Environmental Design (510.642.4942)
Haas School of Business (510.642.1421)
Letters & Science (510.642.1483)
Natural Resources (510.642.0542)

See additional transfer student information


Student Parent Information

Coming soon...

Student Veteran Information

The overwhelming majority of undergraduate student veterans come to UC Berkeley as transfer students from California community colleges. As such, we encourage you to plan early and make use of resources such as your community college counselor,, UC Berkeley admissions advocates, and the Office of undergraduate Admissions websites listed above. Remain motivated and determined to use your talents and strengths to the best of your ability. Create a network of counselors and faculty who can provide guidance and support as you make progress and excel at the community college and encourage you to apply to UC Berkeley or other four year educational institutions. A great way to achieve this is through our Starting Point Mentorship Program that partners you with a Cal Veteran who recently transitioned from community college to UC Berkeley themselves. Through that resource, you can learn about the additional services available to Cal Veterans on campus and in our community, and get a better sense of the vibrant student veteran community here at Cal. Even if things don't progress quite as planned, certainly don't give up your dream if you have one bad semester or year. Strive to learn from circumstances that impacted your academic studies and be ceratin to address that in your personal statement.

Above all, please note that we highly value your service for our country and recognize the additional life and professional skills you would bring to our university community. One of the best ways to showcase these skills and experiences is through the personal statement as part of the undergraduate application process, so in addition to a strong academic record, please recognize the importance and value of that document as part of your application package

Student Veteran Advocates Within the Office of Undergraduate Admissions
If you have questions you can contact any of the following UC Berkeley representatives:

Esperanza Bernal (510) 642-7002, Office of Undergraduate Admissions – Northern California representative.
Ana Rafferty (909) 985-1896, Office of Undergraduate Admissions – Southern California representative

See additional transfer student information